Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Move Over Odwalla!

I used to live in California, so green drinks don't necessarily scare me, but green drinks nestled in among the single-serve coffees in the convenience store are a bit perplexing, especially when the jar's label is entirely in kanji.
I figured the little guy must be drinkable since it was sitting in among the "regular" drinks, so I picked one up and went to the counter to find out what I would be consuming.

The girl there knew as little as I did — but we both agreed it was a rare thing I had picked up and was probably healthy for me.

It was only 105 yen (about $1.27 at today's exchange rate) so I went for it.

I stuffed the drink in my bag and jumped in a cab to get to work.

When I got there, I had a few minutes of down time, so I turned the cute little green bottle around to see if I could glean anything else:


Ah! 100% kale. That I could understand.

I peeled off the lid and lifted it to my lips with all the faith of an aboriginal sampling a new fruit. Fresh and cold and a little chunky. I'm sure it was good for me.

Back at home I looked up the name of my drink: Endo's Medium Blue-Green Juice from Kochi.

It's made locally and the bottles, I think, are returnable. And it's a lot cheaper than Odwalla. I give it a slightly reserved thumbs-up.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! what's the big idea keeping edible secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can find the dregs of it in my bag:)

    ReplyDelete